A church for Tasmania, making disciples of Jesus
The Anglican Church is meeting in small groups around the State. If you want help finding a local church please contact us.
Mission region: Southern Mission Network
Contact person: Revd Rob Stanley
Secretary: Mrs Patricia Hefter
Telephone: (03) 6227 9611
PO Box 2153
LOWER SANDY BAY TAS 7005
8:45am St Luke’s, Taroona
Traditional Anglican Communion Service
The 2nd Sunday of the month is an informal service
10:30am St Stephen’s, Sandy Bay
Traditional Anglican Communion Service
This church is historically known as the Red Chapel.
You can find our latest news: www.redchapel.org.au or on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/redchapelanglican/).
520 Sandy Bay Road
Opposite Red Chapel Avenue
Sunday Service: 10.30am
(Taroona Anglican Church)
171-173 Channel Highway
Access to our car park is via Coolamon Road
Sunday Service: 8.45am
Click here for events at St Luke’s
The Parish of Sandy Bay and Taroona started as the Parish of St Stephen’s, Sandy Bay in 1922 as a separate parish from St George’s Parish, Battery Point. The parish now incorporates two churches, St Stephen’s Church, Sandy Bay and St Luke’s Church, Taroona.
The foundation stone for St Stephen’s Church was laid on 24 August 1847. Initially the church building was used by Methodists and the Church of England and was managed by a trust. The brick building became known as the Red Chapel.
The church building was enlarged in 1896 and the foundation stone for the hall was laid in 1916. The hall was built in 1916 and extended in 1961 and has been much in demand for parish and community activities.
The church has a number of stained glass windows and memorial plaques. Perhaps the most striking of these is the 'Holy Wisdom' window designed by Mervyn Napier Waller - Waller trained under artist Frederick McCubbin, enlisted in the AIF and saw active service in France during World War I. He returned home as a war casualty after losing an arm in battle.
The existing church organ was installed in 1960 and is a two manual Fincham with a two octave pedal board.
In 1990 the Great War Honour Board was relocated from the hall and installed within the church. In 2001 a Memorial Garden was established as a recognised site associated with St Stephen’s Church for the placement of ashes, details of which are kept in the Memorial Garden Register.
St Luke’s Hall was erected in 1956 although records show regular services of worship were held in Taroona in the early 1940s.
Throughout its history the hall has been the focus for a range of community activities including use by the local school as a temporary classroom, as a venue for a scout troop and for ballet lessons, dances, drama productions and even as a doctor’s surgery. Although there were plans to build a conventional church on the large expanse of land this goal was not pursued. In 1969 the existing building was altered and the sanctuary and chancel relocated to the eastern end of the hall. Floor to ceiling windows were incorporated into the design and these provide expansive views overlooking Taroona and the Derwent River.
In 1990 a new entrance foyer, meeting room, kitchen and toilet facility was constructed at the western end of the building. This has proved an excellent venue for many of our fellowship activities and has also provided a comfortable meeting place for several other organisations within Taroona.
In 1999 a Memorial Lawn facility was established as a recognised site at St Luke’s Church for the placement of ashes. A memorial board and register have been installed within the building.
A striking tapestry measuring 357cm x 85cm was completed in 1999 and is located on the wall in the entrance foyer. The work was the result of a community project spanning eight years and features the land and seascape surrounding Taroona.
Our parish offers a number of group activities to foster fellowship and provide support in Christian living. These include the Wednesday Fellowship, Mothers' Union, Men’s Tea and Women’s Coffee Mornings.
A developing ministry has been the formation of a 'network of care', whereby members of the congregation undertake to pray for other members.
The Casserole Outreach Project caters for people suffering illness or other difficulties, not only parishioners, but also people in the wider community. A larder of frozen meals has been prepared and these are distributed as required.
You are warmly invited to attend our services at either of our churches. Services are traditional Prayer Book services, with organ and piano music in each church.
Besides regular services, the parish provides some special services including the annual "Blessing of the Animals" service at St Luke’s, an annual memorial service at each church especially for those families bereaved in the previous 12 months and the Sandy Bay Regatta Service is held during January at St Stephen’s.